Penn Treaty Park Place
1341 N. Delaware Ave Suite 213
Philadelphia PA 19125
The mission of the Multiple Sclerosis Research Institute (MSRI) is to perform the highest quality laboratory-based research and to provide outstanding education in the field of Multiple Sclerosis.
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is believed to be an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks myelin, the insulation around nerve fibers in the brain and spinal cord. Most characteristically individuals with the disease suffer acute attacks with improvement early; but undergo progressive neurologic deterioration over time. While the initial inflammatory immune attack is directed against myelin causing acute episodes of symptoms, there is also an increasing degree of neurodegenerative damage to the nerve fibers (axons) themselves. This is believed to be the underlying cause of disease progression in time.
The research intended to be performed in the MSRI will focus on developing a clearer understanding of fundamental mechanisms of the etiology and pathogenesis of MS. In addition, new therapeutic approaches to the disease and its complications will be carried out.
The basic laboratory research will focus on the following areas:
- Investigating regulation of the immune response and impairment of these responses which cause the occurrence of autoimmunity in MS. The major initial emphasis will be placed on improving the understanding of the role of regulatory T cells in the etiology and pathogenesis of MS.
- Elucidating the mechanisms by which an activated immune system causes damage to myelin and axons.
- Development of innovative therapeutic responses to treat MS.
- Development of diagnostic tests to diagnose and to monitor MS.
Educational programs to disseminate knowledge about the immune basis for MS, current research and therapeutic approaches will be developed for the following audiences:
- Specialists in MS research and care
- General neurologists
- Health Care Professionals
- Individuals with MS and their caregivers
A variety of forums will be used including:
- Small group meetings
Message from Dr. Greenstein
Curing MS is my life’s work. As you know, MS not only changes the lives of those affected by it, but it also touches the lives of their families and friends. My mission in founding the Multiple Sclerosis Research Institute (“MSRI”) is to FIND the cause, STOP the progression and CURE the disease so that those with MS, as well as future generations, can enjoy a life free from its symptoms.